Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Child's Bedtime Story

Just about every  night, I read a Bible Story to each child in their room at bedtime. This is a particularly special time for me because in the stress of the day, it gives me a few minutes of down time with each child, one on one to just be ourselves.

Several years ago, Christopher was given "God's Mighty Warrior" devotional Bible by Sheila Walsh.  We have read through it multiple times over the years.  I can't tell you how God has used these "child-like" stories to speak volumes to my heart.

The most recent happened just a few nights ago.  It is a story about Moses and Joshua in Exodus 17: 9 - 14. Here it is, just as it was read to Christopher . . . . .

Moses said to Joshua, "Choose some men and go and fight the Amalekites. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill. I will hold the stick God gave me to carry."

Joshua obeyed Moses and went to fight the Amalekites.  At the same time, Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill.  As long as Moses held his hands up, the Israelites would win the fight.  But when Moses put his hands down, the Amalekites would win.  Later, Moses' arms became tired.  So the men put a large rock under Moses, and he sat on it.  Then Aaron and Hur  held up Moses' hands.  

Aaron was on the side of Moses, and Hur was on the other side.  They held his hands up like this until the sun went down.  So Joshua defeated the Amalekites in the battle.

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Write about this battle in the book so people will remember.  And be sure to tell Joshua.  Tell him because I will completely destroy the Amalekites from the earth."

Now, let me say this, I had to read this story twice cause I didn't get it.  God did not bless me with the gift of comprehension.  I was getting tangled up in what the friends had to do with the battle.  I didn't get it.  I have to work very hard to study and understand.  Part of that is because I try to make things applicable to my life and that means it has to be simple! (Which is another reason I love reading these stories to the kids.)

 . . . . . but . . . . . as I was reading through it the second time.

I got it!

I re-read the most important parts (what I bolded) to Christopher, raised my hands and said, "Christopher, do you see this?! Moses couldn't fight the battle on his own so God supplied two "helpers" (friends) to hold him up through the battle! When Mose's arms would get tired, they held them!"

I had a few moments of excitement to see how God used a child's story book to open my eyes.

Then, the very  next day, a friend sent me this picture on fb.


I cropped the words out because it is the because that is important.

The rooster is protected by his buddies.  His support system.  His encouragers. His entourage.

I often isolate during tough times.  These last few months have been bad for me, but there have been a few to reach out, to encourage, to love on me.

They are my "Aaron and Hur."

I wouldn't have survived without them.

Thank you.

No comments: